Learning While Writing

Hello one and all!

Hope it was a great weekend for all of my readers. Today I want to talk a bit about how working on my first novel has been a learning school. It has really has taught me so much.

It may sound logical, but working on a creative project of this length and scope has really opened my eyes. In the past I had only worked on poetry and short stories, so when I transitioned to the longer format I had to rethink a lot of things. I had to plan far ahead as characters and plot would develop and change a lot.

In a creative process a large part is about trying different processes and finding what works for you. What time to work at, how much you want to operate within a structure, what technique you want to use to plan etc. I found out I wasn't the type that plotted out every minute detail and I actually liked surprising myself now and again.

I usually have the ending ready at the start (so that I have something to work towards) and character outlines for my main characters. Maybe some ideas for what will happen in the story but then I jump in. Sometimes you just have to start.

Oh yes! And I've learned that so much happens in rewriting. That is when the minerals are transformed into a diamond. It really is a crucial moment in the process. A lot is cut down and rejigged so that it fits more seamlessly, because when you are writing through the first time you are usually too sucked in to notice the little gremlins.

Most importantly though I've learned that we all have an unique voice and a story to tell and we should nurture that. No use in trying to be something you are not or changing yourself because that is what will be popular. Much easier to pull from that honesty.

Thanks for reading! May everyone have a great Monday!   

Comments